After two embarrassing failed attempts earlier this year, Republicans finally managed to pass an ACA repeal bill in the House. The bill is a parade of horrors. It harms the poor, children, women and families, persons with disabilities, immigrants, and even persons with employer-provided coverage. The only ones that benefit are the wealthy and corporations. Simply put, if your MoC voted for TrumpCare, they voted to give Donald Trump a few political points, at the expense of their own constituents.
But the fight isn’t over. If your MoC voted for TrumpCare, this recess it is critical that YOU hold him/her accountable for every one of the terrible provisions in the bill.
IF YOUR REPRESENTATIVE VOTED FOR TRUMPCARE, THEY VOTED TO:
- Take away health care from 24 million Americans. This is according to nonpartisan estimates by the Congressional Budget Office (CBO). This will result in 24,000 - 44,000 more Americans dying every year from lack of insurance. Not to mention medical bankruptcies, lost wages, untreated illnesses...
- Hike deductibles by $1500 on average. TrumpCare pushes Americans into low-quality, high cost-sharing health insurance by providing meager tax credits compared to the Affordable Care Act. This is the opposite of what Trump promised in his campaign.
- End the federal protections for people with pre-existing conditions. TrumpCare incentivizes states to drop consumer protections, meaning insurance companies will be able to charge people more if they have a pre-existing condition. 130 million Americans have a pre-existing conditions. People could face premiums well over $100,000 a year.
- Allow insurance companies to charge older Americans significantly more for their health care. A single, 64 year old adult making $26,500/year would have to pay $14,600 in annual premiums—a 750% increase from current law.
- Cut $880 billion from Medicaid, a program that more than 70 million Americans, half of which are children, rely on. TrumpCare cuts federal funding for the program, which will result in states having to ration care and cut the quality of services.
- Put lifetime and annual benefit caps back on the table for even those with employer coverage. This means a baby with a serious medical condition could use up its lifetime limits in the first month of life under TrumpCare.
- Make women pay more for health insurance than men. Because insurance companies could charge more for pre-existing conditions like breast cancer or assault survival and because pregnancy care no longer would be a required benefit, women would once again pay more for health care than men.
- Defund Planned Parenthood. Nearly 3 million Americans, especially women and families, receive affordable health care services annually at Planned Parenthood facilities. TrumpCare prohibits any funding from going to these clinics.
- Harm children with special needs by cutting Special Education funds for schools. Medicaid funds a large portion of education for students with a variety of disabilities. Buried in the bill is a provision that no longer recognizes schools as required Medicaid providers, on top of the massive cuts to the program.
- And, it does all of this in order to pay for $600 billion in tax breaks for the wealthy and corporations.